- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Prepare a muffin pan with cooking spray or paper muffin cups and get out of all the necessary ingredients.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine mashed bananas with egg, maple syrup, oil and vanilla. Stir vigorously until the mixture is smooth.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients – flour, protein powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cornstarch. For best results, spoon flour into cup (rather than scooping with cup) and then level using a butter knife. If adding in additional mix-in, such as chocolate chips, toss in the flour mixture.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add wet ingredients. Gently stir until just combined. Don’t overmix – some small streaks of flour are fine.
- Spoon batter into the prepared muffin tins filling each one completely full and top with a few additional chocolate chips, if desired. Bake muffins for 5 minutes at 425 degrees F. and then with muffins staying in the oven, reduce heat to 350 degrees F. and bake muffins for 12-15 minutes more. The high heat will cause muffins to rise and then you will lower heat to cook the center of the muffin. I recommend checking muffins after about 12 minutes because mine were completely baked by 13 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow muffins to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. You might need to run a butter knife along the outer edge of the muffins to loosen them from the pan.